A discussion with Lilian Greenwood MP and Cllr Nicola Heaton about changes in social security announced since the General Election, hosted by Meadows Advice Group at the Queens Walk Community Centre.
Matters discussed included –
– cuts in Working Tax Credit – likely to take out £19m p.a. from the working poor; perhaps £500,000 from The Meadows;
– Employment Support Allowance for people with an illness or disability; £33p.w.; changes might impact 760 people in Bridge ward;
– removal of child tax credit for more than 2 children; comes in during 2017;
– Reducing the benefits cap from £26,000, to £23,000; the first limit was quickly determined to affect 160 families in Nottingham City, but the number affected by the new proposed limit is still not calculated;
– Looking for work;
– loss of grant for some university students;
This report will be updated with more numbers soon.
Support Groups are planning to publish a report in October.
Spending power in The Meadows could well drop by well over £1 million per annum.
TO BE UPDATED.